Gold plated dessert

K and I had lunch at the Min Jiang restaurant in Goodwood Park Hotel today. Dessert was some pomelo mango sago thingy - but it came with gold leaf sprinkled on top.

We both stared at it for a few long seconds, wondering what to make of this. I don't really relish the thought of metals, of any kind, in my system. It all also seemed so stupidly crass to put gold on top of dessert (which, incidentally, was served in a shallow saucer-like dish, making it very difficult to actually eat). In the end, I took what I could of it on my finger, and put it the one place where it might belong. On my camera. As of today, I can say with some certainty that I own the only (partially) gold plated Voigtlander Bessa R out there. Well, gold speckled might be a better descriptor - but hey, better on my camera than in me.

And while we're on the topic of the restaurant, a word of advice to all: either reserve early, or ask to sit outside. The predominantly familial lunchtime crowds (read: bawling kids) squeeze themselves into the air-conditioned comfort of the indoors dining section, leaving the outside quite empty. And quiet. And much, much calmer.

Comments

Popular Posts