Earthquake tremors

There we were on the bed, K doing her work, me trying to read a book, when she turns to me and asks me if I can feel the room swaying.

The room was swaying, just barely enough that it could be sensed: my wife, far more sensitive to these things that I, was certain, while I for moment wondered if I was sleepy-dizzy. Watching the lamp in the living room sway was enough to confirm that the movement was real, not imagined. In a few minutes, we had both got out of bed, and began to put on clothes and get keys and wallet without even saying a word (nice to know we have the same survival instincts).

It was an earthquake in Sumatra, from this link:
"Serial No.: 02

The tremors felt in Singapore at 12:10 a.m. on 29 March 2005 were due to an earthquake that occurred in Southwestern Sumatra, approximately 600 km west southwest of Singapore. The magnitude of the earthquake is 8.2 on the Richter Scale. The epicentre is located at Latitude 2.1S and Longitude 97.0E.

Issued by Meteorological Services Division, NEA (Tel: 6542-5059/6542-2837) on 29 Mar 2005 at 12:43 AM (Singapore Time)"

I'm almost afraid to say the T word. The news points out that this quake is in the same area as the previous one, and I'm afraid to think of what this could mean for those already hit badly on the 26th of December.

Comments

Popular Posts