Bus Adventures

I took the bus for the first time in a long time yesterday, coming back with my mother from a visit to my aunt. On the last leg of a 3 bus journey, it was crowded enough that both of us had to stand. My mom's fairly elderly. A lady gave up her seat to my mom, despite the fact that she herself was carrying a fair amount of groceries and probably could've used the seat. Her son, sitting opposite, promptly stood up and gave up his seat for his mom.

This is why it's so important for parents to practice more than they preach - because children learn from what you do, not what you say. That young man learned more about what living in a civic society involves from watching his mother than any textbook, lesson, or lecture could ever teach him.

Comments

ampulets said…
You are so right, W. Y and me take the public transport all the time, and have so many parents not leading by example. There's no hope. There was once, a lady and her daughter continued to place their foot on the platform of those "face-to-face" seats, even when me and Y had to tip-toe to sit on the seats opp them. Like mom, like daughter.

Popular Posts