Random iTunes shuffling thoughts on a Monday

(1) I did not know there was a poem called “Why I Take Care Good Care of My Macintosh Computer”, or indeed that I had a recording of it. By Gary Snyder. Nice poem. Link to words and recording here.

"Because I have let it move in with me
right inside the tent
And it goes with me out every morning
We fill up our baskets, get back home,
Feel rich, relax, I throw it a scrap and it hums."


(2) Sylvia Plath's voice sounds too sonorous and deep, too “performed” for the frailty in “Daddy”: you expect something more raw, more primal, for this poem, yet you get this considered, crafted voice. Doubly creepy. In the same way as seeing Christopher Walken dance on that Fatboy Slim video. Brrr.

(3) Tom Waits has all these great songs about sailors - sleazy bars in Asian ports of call, populated with a host of creepy low-life characters etc ... but has he ever been in the navy? A quick wikipedia check shows he was in the Coast Guard ... but the US Coast Guard doesn't go on shore leave in Hong Kong, surely? Still these are great songs ... great imaginings of what shore leave ought to be like:

" ... in a Hong Kong drizzle on Cuban heels
I rolled down the gutter to the Blood Bank
and I'd left all my papers on the Ticonderoga
and was in a bad need of a shave
and so I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein
and shot billards with a midget
until the rain stopped ... "

You also can't fault a guy who wrote a pirate song about Singapore ( “We sail tonight for Singapore / Don't fall asleep when you're ashore” ... yarr!!!

Comments

Popular Posts